My Favorite Smoothies

It seems everywhere you turn someone is talking about smoothies and juicing. If you've seen documentaries like Forks over Knives and Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead you'll know how helpful fresh juices/smoothies are towards obtaining your goal for better health.

It works for me for various reasons. One example, I don't eat enough salads or veggies daily, so I "drink" my salad. Eating plenty of veggies - like dark leafy greens helps rid of acidity and to alkaline the body - so it helps lessen my pain and inflammation from arthritis (in my feet and hands). You'd be surprised how an acidic body can ruin your health. Read up more about alkaline bodies here. (These are the test strips I used to check my body's pH balance).

Anyway, I've started enjoying a green smoothie every morning shortly after doing a Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox Cleanse. You don't have to do a detox in order to enjoy a daily smoothie, but that was just my journey towards it. For years my dad always told me about the health benefits of juicing and smoothies, of course I waited till I was sick to do something about it. But hey, at least I'm doing something about it now.

Remember, taste is KEY!

My Morning Green Smoothie and Berry Afternoon Pick me Up 
My Morning Smoothie:
1 cup of filtered water
1 cup of kale (or spinach)
1 cucumber
2 celery stalks
1/2 lime juice (squeeze in to your smoothie to neutralize that green taste, trust me it works)
1 cup of pineapple
1 banana (or apple)

Blend all ingredients for a few minutes. If you're new to smoothies and it taste too "strong", add more pineapples. Sometimes I'll use a mango in place of banana just for variation. You'll notice there's more greens than fruits, this does a body very good.

Berry Afternoon Pick Me Up:
1 cup of filtered water
1 cup of spinach
1 cups of frozen mix berries
1 Banana (if you want a thick smoothie)

Blend all ingredients for a few minutes and enjoy.

Simple suggestions about making your own healthy smoothie and juices:
  • Invest in a quality machine. I've used my Vitamix since it's arrival to my house December of 2012. And I'm absolutely loving my Breville juicer! These two machines are always on my kitchen counter. 
  • Use purified or Spring Water. Tap water isn't completely clean. (See what's in your water - EWG.)
  • Use organic veggies and fruits whenever possible. I purchase my produce from farmer's market and Trader Joe's. 

Next post - Juicing, and my Favorite Juices. 


Comments

Popular Posts