Sorullos - Something Corny

This past week my mom flew to New Jersey to visit me, and during her stay we got to talking about all the great dishes she'd made for me and my two brothers growing up. I remembered a cornmeal treat called Sorullos, something she learned to make during a trip in Puerto Rico. I asked my mom to show me how to make these yummy corny treats, she was happy to oblige.

Sorullos are a corn meal fritters shaped like cigars. Very simple and quick to make, these little corn treats can get greasy since it's fried, so it's more of an occasional snack, or even hors d'oeuvres if you're hosting a house party.
 
There are many variations to making sorullos, sweet, plain or cheesey. We loved it cheesey!

Sorullos:
makes 40-50
depending how big you roll

1 bag of Goya's Masarepa or any yellow corn meal
2 cups of shredded cheese, we used sharp cheddar
2-3 cups of hot water
1 tablespoon of salt (optional)

Boil water with salt in a medium saucepan. In the meantime mix cheese with the corn meal flour in a deep wide bowl. Take the water off burner and add to cornmeal (flour) a little at a time, enough to make a dough ball. Let it cool. Start forming the Sorullos by tearing off about a 1 to 2 tablespoons with your fingers and roll in your hands in a cigar shape. Continue until you finish the mixture.Fry the Sorullos in medium-high with vegetable oil or peanut oil in a frying pan, until they get yellow and crunchy.
 I videotaped a few seconds of my mom doing her Sorullo magic:



Enjoy my GFF's!

Comments

Noemi said…
My dad made these for us all the time, we would have them w/bacalao guisado. I still make them till this day. Thanks for bringing up the memories with me and dad when I was a little girl helping him make them!
Ana said…
When my mom comes home for the holidays I'm def going to ask her to make these for me! I miss them! Sooooo good!

Popular Posts