Sweet Plantains

Last night the only thing I had on my agenda was plantains! I purchased a bunch earlier this week and had them sitting inside a dark brown bag so they can ripen more. The more ripe the sweeter the taste.

Even though plantains are part of the banana family, you will need a pairing nice to remove the peel. Make 2 or 3 shallow slits and then peel off. I sliced my plantains at an angle so it'll cook faster and also it looks prettier.
 

Heat up a skillet then add 3 tablespoons of oil, let that heat up then add plantains in single layers. No need to add any sugar to them because they are sweet enough unless you're planning to caramelize them. *To caramelize plantains, add 2 tsp. of vanilla extract, 1 tbsp. of sugar, and cinamon. Let it cook until you see a golden color at the bottom (about 4-5 minutes) then turn over for 2-3 minutes more.

Do not cook these in high heat or they will burn before they've had a chance to cook thoroughly.

MMmmmmm. I have to hurry and finish with the photography because my husband is already popping them in his mouth. Widely used as a side side, but tonight we ate these babies as our my main dish.

Enjoy GFF's!

2 servings
2 very ripe plantains
3 Tbsp. of oil (I used grapeseed oil)
dash of cinnamon (optional)

Comments

Popular Posts