Cheesy Meatballs

I make all kinds of meatballs but for some reason I keep coming back to this cheesy meatball recipe. I'll make the meatballs as appetizers (more so when entertaining guests) or adding it to a pasta dish.


I adopted this cheesy meatball recipe from the Boiardi family. Who are the Boiardi family? You may know them by another name, Chef Boyardee - yeap that canned pasta sold at supermarkets nationwide since the1940's. The name was changed when real life Chef Hector Boiardi felt that people would find it easier pronouncing his last name if spelled out phonetically.  Talk about marketing the American consumer!

Below is their family recipe. Try it and you'll see how popular they'll be at parties. And yes I did replace the regular breadcrumbs with gluten-free breadcrumbs.


Boiardi's Cheesy Meatballs:
Makes about 60
Prep 30 - Cook 10 min.

1lbs. ground turkey (or beef)
1 small onion, grated
3/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons grated pecorino-romano cheese
3 Tbps. ketchup
1 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large egg, beaten
Extra-virgin olive oil

In a large mixing bowl break apart the meat with a fork or hands. Add onions, breadcrumbs, cheeses, ketchup, parsley, basil, salt, Worchestershire, and garlic powder and combine. Stir in the egg until incorporated.

Using your hands, shape the meat into 1-inch balls to make 60 meatballs.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Working in batches, add meatballs and cook, turning until lightly brown (about 10 minutes). Add more oil if necessary.


Enjoy GFFs!

Comments

Anonymous said…
YUM! Looks delicious. I'll have to try my hand at making these :)

-Carrie
Anonymous said…
This looks sooooo good girl. Adding to my list of things to try from your blog.

~April
Claudia said…
Thanks ladies! Let me know how they turn out :)I know you'll love them!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for the history lesson! I grew up eating Chef Boyardee. Did you use rice noodles?

Netty
Claudia said…
Yes Netty, brown rice pasta. I used Tinkyada brand which I've talked about at the Tuna and Pasta Joy blog. :)

Popular Posts