Simple Brown Rice

It's one of our safest grains we Gluten-Free folks can enjoy, RICE! Oh how do I love thee. I've been consulting with a holistic doctor, Dr. Anthony Salzarulo who has encouraged me to eat better grains. Brown rice was on top of his list.


When researching a proper way to cooking brown rice, I came across feedback from people complaining  how hard the brown rice was compared to the white - and they were right. I found out it all has to do with the process the rice goes through. The brown rice is left more in its natural wholesome state, while the white rice is milled, stripped, polished, then there's the removal of husk and bran. Talk about cosmetic surgery! Of course it's easier and faster to cook, however there is loss of many nutrients due to the process. *For more regarding white vs. brown rice read here.

Hence the little brown rice is left to appear like an old stubborn bull.

I decided to call on my life line - my mom. Her pointers worked out best and even though it takes more time to cook brown rice, it's so simple to make.


See the photo above, the rice has a harder "shell" to penetrate, but letting it cook longer in water and oil it softens. The ratio usually 1 cup of brown rice - 3 cups of water. Try it and see.

Simple Brown Rice
Makes 3-4 servings
Cook time: 40-50 minutes
1 cup of brown rice (I love Lundberg's Brown Basmati rice)
3 cups of water (best if filtered)
1 tbsp. of vegetable oil (I used grapeseed oil) or 1 tbsp. of butter
Optional - 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Enjoy GFFs!

Comments

Popular Posts