I cannot believe how fast this summer is flying.
Speaking of flying, my father-in-law, aka Pappa Tony, has an amazing garden which have bloomed so many tasty vegetables that their flying from the garden into our mouths.
I love how sweet and juicy his cherry tomatoes come out every year, but my favorite summer vegetable is the cucumber, and Pappa Tony's veggie garden grows an abundance of these crunchy watery goodness. The best part is during summertime I don't bother buying it at the market since I find bags of cucumber (and other veggies) sitting on my kitchen table that Pappa Tony leaves for me and my husband to enjoy. The feeling when I see this is like a mini-Christmas in Summer.
Everyone has their favorite way of prepping a quick salad with cucumbers and here's mine. I sometimes play around with the salad dressing, depending how creative I want to be, I'll make my own balsamic vinaigrette (see below for ingredients) or if I want to eat and run, I'll toss it with fresh lemon juice and salt. That's it.
Cucumber Summer Salad
Scallions or green onions
Basil or Cilantro, whatever herbs I have on hand.
My Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Shake all of the ingredients together in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 7 days; bring to room temperature, then shake vigorously to recombine before using.